Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Michelle Obama & Sarah Palin & 21st Century Woman


Politics. OK, I'm back at it. It's hard to stay away. Here's the deal. Several things recently happened that prompted me to write this. I'm not even sure where to begin!

When discussing Sarah Palin at a family get-together, it was mentioned that someone would not support Palin (that's not important) because she was a working mother (that is important). I'll tell you right up front, I'm not voting for Palin, BUT not because she's a mom! Or a mom with a large family. Or a mom with a small baby. Or a mom with baby with Down's Syndrome. We can't limit women to being professionals, even Vice President of the United States. No one told JFK that he shouldn't become President because he had small children. This is the double-edged sword that I'm referring to...we can't say or judge Sarah by setting up parameters of motherhood and working women. Individual women need to set their own parameters. They know what they can handle, what they can commit. I love my children dearly, but I'd go crazy not working outside the home. I love my work. I love my time with adults. And most importantly, I love coming home to my family!

On another occasion to the theater with a group of people, someone mentioned that their daughter had to work late due to an internal problem at the office. She goes in at 7 and comes home at 9. Another person said, "Those kids need their mother!" Let's evaluate the situation. The children are at home with their father who is extremely capable & competent at giving them baths, reading them stories, tucking them into bed, and kissing them goodnight. This isn't a daily occurence. This is a mom that is working through a problem at work. She spends quality time with her kids. It's OK that Dad takes over. In fact, I think it's commendable!

I've run across this myself time after time. When the children are home with Mr. Heather they are just as happy, safe, and secure as they are with me. Yes, they need their mom, but they need their dad too!

I think Michelle Obama hit it right on the head in her & Barack's interview with Ladies Home Journal: "I think it's a unit that raises a child....There's no reason why the nurturing has to come from Mom-it just has to be there." Hopefully, Sarah has her husband to provide that for their children. I wish Palin all the luck in the world, but I'm voting for Obama!

Shared parenting works for us!

1 comment:

~Lori said...

I just caught up on all of your blogging- so much to say, but you know i'm stuck on the photo of joe!

great eye for a fantastic photo, robert. way to choose your pictures carefully. :)

joe says he's got lots of robert in europe in case you want to see how he spent his time there.

he's got a ton of photos on walgreens.com and he says to email me and i can send you the password to view them.

glad to see you back on the blogs!!!
L