
Tonight, as a treat (and because the girls and I were on our own for dinner) I took them to McDonald's. In effort to get them to leave the daycare center with little dilly-dallying, I told them we where we were going. That worked. They sprinted down the hallway yelling, "McDonald's! We're going to McDonald's!" I had to keep reminding them as we progressed from the door to the car, but we finally made it to our final destination.
It was a jolly good time. I even "splurged" and got two movies from the Redbox (one for them and one for me and we're saving them for tomorrow).
Zoe then says, "Mom, I want to go back to McDonald's. I want to live there."
Me: Live there?
Zoe: Yeah, live there. You always say you hate living here.
Me: Um, no....I don't.
Zoe: Oh. So we can we?
Me: No
Zoe: Why not?
Me: I like it here - a lot better than McDonalds.
Zoe: I'll give you a kiss if you let me let me...
Zoe was disappointed. I guess from a kids' view living at McDonald's would be a great time. French fries, kids' cones, games...it meets the basic requirements of Maslow's hierarchy of needs.
A majority of parents find it's hard to tell their kids no. This particular situation wasn't one of those cases. (No offense, Ronald McDonald! Sometimes you just have to put your foot down! Don't worry though, we'll be back- but just to visit!)




No comments:
Post a Comment