Monday, January 21, 2008

After Christmas Shock....






So here I am on MLK Day. The girls are at school doing their thing. Robert is at work and I get to do.....whatever I want! LOL! So I am rearranging furniture, sweeping places that haven't been swept since we moved in, catching up on laundry and "Murder She Wrote", and basically giving the entire house an Early Spring Cleaning.

This brings me to my computer so I can lament about the hundreds of toys, books, stuffed animals, and billions of tiny plastic parts that have invaded our house. It no longer belongs to us: Fisher-Price, Mattel, and Leap Frog have taken over! So I sit and sort and sort and sort. (This is great thing to do while the kids are away!) But it is hard to decide what to keep and what to give away and even what to throw away. What if I find that critical missing piece to such-and-such toy that takes 3 different kinds of batteries in the basement later?

Since we have two girls, we are lucky in the fact that we can hand down clothes and age appropriate toys to Samantha. Robert's brother and his wife have graciously handed down things that their girls have out-grown. Of course, we are extremely grateful; the only thing we need to buy for our oldest daughter, Zoe, seems to be socks and underwear! However, we are storing totes sorted by size in the basement. Bottom line: MORE STUFF, but useful, practical stuff! However, I couldn't pass up some of the toys they were letting go in a garage sale (read, MORE stuff!)

So I personally have an issue with accumulating stuff. I admit it.

Now add in the grandparent factor and well-meaning aunts and uncles, friends and family! Yes, we have serious problem on our hands! I've even had this conversation:

"What do the girls need?"

"Socks and underwear."

"I don't want to get them that! That's not fun!"

"I know, but you asked!"

Or how about: "They need SOMETHING to open!"

I'm as guilty as the rest! I had a great time shopping for the girls, anticipating the excitement I'd see on their faces when they opened a wished upon toy. I spend all year buying them the necessities that it's really fun to buy something for them that's just for fun. So now our house looks like a toy store!

After wading through this mess today I think that from now on, we will have to tighten the reins once more (yes, I have made this pledge to myself in the past). So girls, get ready; you are getting socks and underwear for Valentine's Day! (With little hearts on them and I'll throw in some chocolate too!)

2 comments:

~Lori said...

Fun songs! And the cartoon song- I thought Joe's friend Andrew was the only person who had heard of that song. How fun to see it pop up on your playlist! And the Reba song "Does He Love You"- my friend and I used to do a lovely little karaoke duet to that one. :) Good stuff.

Anonymous said...

Oh Heather! I completely feel your frustration over the ever growing toy mountain! We have the same problem and I attempted to do the same thing you are doing although I didn't have the luxury of doing it without the "helpful" hands of my lovely children! It seemed like every time I would get a toy to the trash thinking they didn't see...Ty was right there behind me pulling it back out! I'm not sure what the answer is because I like you have spent countless hours not only picking out the "perfect" toys but then also standing looking at the mountain and wondering why I feel the need to buy them more! Let me know if you find the answer!