Wednesday, January 30, 2008

First Visit to the Dentist?





The question mark is not an indication of indecisiveness, but rather a question of logistics. In truth, this was Zoe's 2nd Trip to the Dentist, but the first trip didn't go very well. She refused to sit in the chair, refused to show the nice hygienist her teeth, etc. For someone who took off early from work to take her daughter to the dentist I was not happy with my child's behavior, but it seemed pretty clear that the nice lady that works in the dentist office would not take kindly to me using duct tape to strap my child to the green leather chair and metal tongs to pry her mouth open. So as not to make a scene, I took my darling daughter home and explained very gently to her in a very calm, controlled voice that we would go back and that SHE WOULD show the lady her teeth. Zoe said, OK and that she was ready NOW! When I shared this story with MIL, she informed me that Zoe got it honest. She had that same experience when she was girl, only she was 12 (I don't think it was her first visit, but she switched dentists or something).

A month later, we both went in for our cleaning together. To prepare her, I told her I would go first so she could watch and take pictures. (Those pics are not making it onto my blog! However, here are hers!) She was EXCELLENT! She was a little scared of the dentist himself, but otherwise it was the perfect dental experience! I came out of the office feeling extremely triumphant!

By the way, Zoe has 10 teeth on top and 10 on bottom and two are loose! Tooth Fairy, get ready!

No comments: