Saturday, February 2, 2008

P.S. I Love You


At six o'clock my co-worker and friend Amy called me and asked me if I wanted to go to the movies to see P.S. I Love You. Going to the movie theater is one of my favorite past-times and also one I don't indulge myself in very often. Since we didn't have school today due to the weather, I jumped at the chance to get out of the house. Checked in with Robert who graciously agreed and off we went. When we got to the theater, we realized the movie didn't start until 9:30 instead of 7 so we walked down to the coffee shop where I had a Raspberry Truffle steamer and Amy ordered the Banana Split. We talked and talked. We shared life stories and actually impressed ourselves by not talking shop! It was great to learn more about her as a person outside of school. No subject was left untouched. I love my children dearly and I love my students dearly, but I love to talk to people who are over 4 feet tall too!

After killing time for two and half hours (which went by so quickly!) we headed back to the theater, saddled up with a large tub of buttered popcorn and cups of Pepsi, and settled back in our seats for the show. OK, we knew it was going to be a tear jerker and we were armed with Kleenexes which came in handy, but thankfully, the movie also provided us with comic relief throughout to lighten things up and make us smile.

And the entire time, I couldn't help compare the movie to my own life. Granted, there are not many similarities. I did not fall in love with an Irish man. I do not live in a busy city like NYC. I am not an art major. I've never sang karaoke in public. But I am in love with my husband and my life would not be complete without him. No one can put up with my mood swings, my "life-plan" lists, my idiosyncrasies, my neurotic moments, my compulsive behavior, my need to always be in control, and still love me for it. He grounds me. You can't always choose your family, but I chose him. He is my family now. An integral part of my life. (The photograph above is our most recent picture together.)

I remember asking his friend Jason about him. "Is he single?" Yes. "Is he gay?" No. "Set us up!" Our first date was November 8, 1996. Ten years later, I was bound and determined to celebrate this special anniversary. It didn't happen for two reasons: 1) The restaurant burnt down and hadn't reopened as planned. 2) Parent-Teacher Conferences were scheduled for that day. This spring, we will celebrate 10 years of marriage. I can't wait! We are going to Europe this summer to visit the three most romantic spots in the world: Paris, London, and Venice. He once told me that he'd never have an affair with anyone, but me and I believe him. He is a keeper! He is wonderful father and a devoted husband. He still makes me laugh. Watching the person you love most loving the children you created together brings tears to my eyes. The girls adore him.

I read once that "Life is not a dress rehearsal." I try to be conscious in my daily life to appreciate the magical moments with my children and with my husband. It is so easy to get caught up in life instead of just enjoying it. Thank goodness God provides eye-opening opportunities that we can see if we open our hearts. They make us take the time to stop and notice, like a movie or a book or a song. Things that touch us and remind us that we are compassionate, loving human beings instead of mechanical machines.


They say that the people you take for granted as the ones that you care about the most. I don't know about you, but in my case, this is certainly true. I never tell him enough how much I appreciate him in my life. I do notice the little things, but don't always say thank you. I hope this humble attempt shows through in this journal of mine.

PS Robert, I love you!

No comments: